_

Pages - Menu

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Growth

I never was one for new year's resolutions, and as 2013 came to such an awful close, I took to 2014 in a negative light. So many things had turned to shit for me from October of last year, and although I was overwhelmed and miserable at the time, I now see it was the best thing that could have happened to me in the long run.

After getting slapped out of my funk by a good friend, I realised I didn't want all the drama to set the tone for my whole year. I was forced in to a major turning point in my life, so I had set myself a one-month-in-to-the-new-year's-resolution:


Get off your ass and do something about your life. Be happy.

It has been a difficult adjustment but now, only a few months later, I have been able to see the positive in situations instead of continuously focusing on the negative.

I am a better person for learning:


It's okay to be alone.
After my big ol' break-up with my boyfriend of three years, I became free.
It was refreshing not needing to answer to anyone, and having the freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted without needing to think about the consequences.
By not depending or relying on any one individual, I became my own person.
I have a wonderful set of friends and that was all I needed.
I made new friends, did new things, and went new places.


Being a little impulsive never hurt anyone.
I can't say no to the knick-knacks displayed while walking towards the check-out of a store that I have absolutely no reason to own. It makes me happy, that's my reason.
The feeling of satisfaction I get when I purchase random crap is worth it, even if I'm incredibly likely to abandon said random crap after one or two days of use.
A little impulsiveness keeps life interesting.


Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes.
It comes any time it wants, it comes unexpectedly. Happiness is something different for each and every one of us. Happiness may not come from the same place for us all, but it feels the same for everyone. To me, happiness is: The little things.
  • Making the green light just in time
  • People spelling my name right
  • When someone tells me I'm pretty
  • Watching baby ducks walk in a line behind mamma duck
  • A cocktail on a hot day
  • Laying in the sun
  • Catching a perfect moment on camera
  • Laughing with my best friend until no noise comes out and we sit there clapping like spastic seals


    Drop the excuses.
    I realised I could not remember the last time I was truly happy.
    I blamed my ex, I blamed my family. Truth is, it was no body's fault but my own.
    If you want to get somewhere in life, you have to give away your excuses.
    Things won't change if you are not pro-active.


    DO NOT wear a playsuit out to the club.
    I actually am a better person for forcibly learning this. At least, a classier person.
    You'd think this shit would be common sense, but seriously, you try peeing wearing a one-piece monstrosity you are too drunk to remove when your bladder's about to burst.


    Forgive.
    It's nearly impossible to forget when you're carrying around major trust issues, the betrayal will always be at the back of your mind, but dwelling on it, holding grudges and handing out guilt trips never made me feel better. Nor did it fix the problem. I am the bigger person. Although I may not be able to forget, I can certainly forgive.


    Everyone has two faces.
    Everyone is unique. Be yourself and let who you are shine through. Individuals hide their true identity with a mask. They show the world one thing but behind closed doors they are the complete opposite. Only those who truly love that individual really ever get to experience their true beautiful soul. When someone tells me I am the goofiest person they've ever met, I smile and think of my favourite quote...

    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe


The past months have been amazing time of growth for me and I am overwhelmed by how much I have matured in such a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all!

Sharing is Caring!