_

Pages - Menu

Monday, May 5, 2014

Hair Wash Diary; Kicking Bad Habits.

I've been conducting a little experiment lately of how many days I can go without washing my hair.

Re-wind a few years, I used to wash my hair every three days.
Growing up does weird shit to your body and things got kinda cray cray. Fast forward now to year 10, I was one of the oh-so-lucky ones who didn't get break outs or acne, instead, all that grease that was supposed to go to my face, decided to go to my hair. I found myself washing it every single day without fail, even though I knew it was a such a bad thing to do. I was just so concious about even the slightest oily sheen, and I've found it to be such a hard habit to get out of.

My hair, of course, got used to this routine, and over-compensated for my constant stripping, but producing a butt-load of oils so I was pretty much forced to wash it every day. But at the start of April (Yes, I've literally been doing that shit for six years), I slowly started to skip days and keep track of the progress. In only one months time, I'm so impressed with the state of my hair. It's been such a short period, but I'm amazed with the results.


Week 1: Washing every second day
This first week was disgusting. So. Very. Disgusting. Oh lawdy.
But it was to be expected really. Even going just one day without shampoo, I was a terrible, oily mess.

Week 2: 
Still washing every second day, but there's a definite improvement in my hair.
It doesn't look oily on days I haven't washed, and I'm loving all these styles I can do with "day old hair".

Week 3: Back to washing every third day
Already back to where I started in just three weeks, and my hair seems to be growing so much faster! Even though I haven't washed it, it still looks healthy, rather than dull and heavy like it once did.

Week 3+: Washing every 3-4 days!
This is where I'm at now, and where I intend on staying.
I'll wash every third day, but I can go a whole four if need be. Of course I have to use dry shampoo when I get to the day three mark if I'm brave enough to go another, but I can't help but notice how much happier my hair is because of this.

  
There are only certain shampoos & conditioners I can get away with whilst going so long in between washing, as much as I love my volumising options, sometimes they can leave a heavy feeling to my hair. The Garnier Fructis Oily Roots, Dry Ends shampoo and conditioner combo is my best friend right now; they leave the hair squeaky clean without drying or rinsing any colour away. Even though this pairing offer nothing overly special, they leave my hair so soft and shiny and my volumising styling products seem to work so much better too, and they're super cheap!

My current dry shampoo of choice is Batiste Light & Blonde, just lightly spritzed and brushed through my roots; It absolutely saves my fringe! It works so wonderfully, and smells pretty to!


I'm so glad I didn't give up in that first disgusting week; my hair feels sooo much healthier. Letting my hair getting a little greasy and work with its natural oils has done me and my locks the world of good. You should give it a go, ladies. Your hair will love you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all!

Sharing is Caring!